MC Decides To Move Ahead!
– Despite all odds but with great faith –
It’s April 7/14. Where are we?
- Do we have sponsors? No.
- How many registrants do we have as March 31/14? 76.
- Are we far away from our targets? Yes.
- Are we taking heavy financial risk? Yes.
But, is Millionaire Chess Open happening? Yes!
We are going to take a leap of faith and go ahead with the tournament regardless… This means that the million dollar prize is now guaranteed. What brought about this decision?
Three to five years from now, I look back to my 2014 and what possible “negative” outcomes do I see? Regret for not having tried, not having known what the future could have been? Or lost time and resources for having tried and failed? The latter is the real me – exerting all my effort at something I believe in totally and, if I fail, not regretting it. I don’t know what the future holds for us, but I do know that not going ahead today will always leave me with room for feelings of regret, and I don’t want to die with any regrets at all.
Reflecting on the situation more deeply, we are moving forward because of:
1. The people around me. Maurice is Maurice; there’s no changing that. He has built his reputation in the chess community and there is no way that we are going to put that at stake. The MC team who has been behind us, rooting for us. Their enthusiasm, passion, positive energy have been very inspiring and motivating. My small group of (highly successful) people in my inner circle has always taken time out to hear me out and give me their opinions and suggestions. I feel very grateful.
2. Faith. Belief is more than logic, and faith is more than belief. Faith does not put aside logic. It can actually be based on it. Our faith is based on the reality and facts around us. Why would we give up something we believe in so strongly?
3. The strong supporters from the chess community who definitely outnumber the naysayers.
4. The future technologies. We are working with the Media Lab at MIT. They will change the way chess gets presented to the public.
5. The collaboration we have with the US Chess Federation. We are going to cross promote each other, and their reach is vast.
6. The timing. If we don’t change chess now, the next generations of players will lose the opportunity to be rewarded for their brilliance.
7. Confidence. We are very passionate and confident about taking chess mainstream. We believe it can be done.
Our integrity has been doubted. Our real motives have been questioned. To those doubters, I say, “Thank you.” Thank you for giving us the platform to prove ourselves. Thank you for making us realize who among the chess players are one with us in believing that chess has its own important place in the world of intellectual sports. Some may see us as stubborn and hardheaded. Others see us as confident and determined. You can’t please everyone, and it’s great to have support.
Besides, there will always be differences. We acknowledge this. Differences in points of views give dynamism to a lot of aspects in life. We embrace those with different opinions because they motivate us, and they also show us ways to improve what we are trying to do. It’s all about delivering the highest quality product in the end.
The fact that I am not well practiced in chess does not mean that I don’t appreciate the game. Not all basketball fans play basketball but, like me, they are passionate about the sport. The Millionaire Chess Open may be seen as “just” a tournament, but there’s a business side to it and, despite all odds, I still believe there’s enormous potential to be tapped. I view this as an exciting new venture, and I know I am in it for the long term. My ambition is way beyond one Open Tournament a year, and my target area is not just the USA. I consider the money I put in as a long term investment in an enterprise that I see potential in on top of being passionate about. I am totally prepared to take the financial risk, just I have in the other businesses I’ve been involved in.
We have decided to move ahead. Maurice is spending his time and exerting efforts to make his dream come true. I have decided to put my investment on the line and I am not even a chess player! These are exciting times!